Migrating Geeklog to WordPress

My versions:Geeklog 1.4.1 and WordPress 2.3

Why I migrated?

I went to sleep last night if there’s such a thing as a Geeklog to WordPress plugin and google pointed me here!

I have existing 2 posts on front page before I ran this plugin…

1. Backed up the existing WP 2.3 database.

2. Backed up the WPG2 database. (yah, call me paranoid!)

3. FTP all backup of the whole WP2.3 site. It is working with WPG2 already. All files backed up including everything that’s in the Gallery.

Remembver, there can never be too much backup copies!

Useful note at this point, note the bold (from http://www.justdave.net/dave/2007/01/16/geeklog-to-wordpress-converter/):
Benjamin said,

August 9, 2007 at 12:05 am


Thank you, Dave, for creating and posting this. It works great and is much cleaner than I probably would have made it for my own purposes.

For the record, I migrated a Geeklog 1.3.11 install to WordPress 2.2.2 using your script. This was running on MySQL 4.1.20 and PHP 5.0.4 on a CentOS 4.5 system. Everything just worked!

One note, as I was a bit ignorant of WordPress; users need to copy the “geeklog.php” file into the “{wordpress}/wp-admin/import/” directory in order to use it. It is accessed from the WordPress admin tool’s “Manage -> Import” menu.

Very simple, but that took me a bit to figure out.

Thank you again!

3.1 Download the “RAW” format from http://trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/3398/geeklog.php Scroll all the way down. (Don’t make the same mistake as me, I did a right click download on http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3398) You put that file in, you’ll get the coding displayed when you go to your Import page in Admin menu in WordPress as there’s the line numbers before the actual codes.

4. Then read this to merge the 2 db and use the wordpress db name! not the geeklog one, you can use phpmyadmin, note the bold again:

Rob G said,

March 1, 2007 at 8:45 pm


I had the same issues as you, but eventually found a post on the WP Codex that helped greatly: merge the two databases first, then run the script. I imported my GL database into the WP database, then when the script asks for the name of your GL database, give it the name of the WP database.

Bingo! Then just delete the GL tables when you’re done.

5. Run through the script! It’ll work now. Below for screenies, click for larger views.

6. Some errors for me but who cares! something to do with the apostrophe or something…anwayway, moving on…

7. All done! and we see

8. My original 2 posts is still there! Nice.

9. Backup the database again before you do this. Drop all gl_ prefix tables from the original WordPress table, you won’t need them anymore!

10. Done!

Contributed – etegration
18 Oct 2007


Sidebar Block

* Function Not Configured *